We offer one of the most comprehensive ranges of expansion joint covers in the world, backed by over 40 years design and manufacturing experience.
Our unparalleled technical support is available to help you at every stage from product selection right through to practical considerations during installation.
We want you to choose the right expansion joint cover and to help avoid costly mistakes our optional installation service is available for all of our products.
Understanding Expansion Joints
What is an Expansion Joint?
An expansion joint (also referred to as a movement joint) is a structural gap between adjacent parts of a building that allows for safe and inconsequential relative movement of those parts, caused by thermal variations, ground settlement or other conditions.
Expansion Joint Characteristics
- Expansion joints are designed to accommodate building movement in a controlled manner, preventing damage to internal and external finishes.
- Go right through the structure of the building from top to bottom and front to back (floors, interior walls, ceilings, exterior walls, floor to wall, wall to wall, ceiling to wall, roof).
- Often become wider as the building gets higher.
What is an Expansion Joint Cover?
Expansion Joint Covers (EJCs) provide a covered transition across an expansion joint opening, and, when specified correctly, remain unaffected by the movement of the two surfaces either side of the joint.
Types of Building Movement
Selecting, detailing and specifying joint covers can be challenging, but by considering a number of factors in a logical way it becomes much easier. We recommend considering the following:
- Expansion or Movement Joint Width
- Anticipated Movement Range
- Building Usage and Loading Requirements
- Are Fire Barriers, Moisture Barriers or Acoustic Barriers required?
Our range of expansion joint covers includes everything from modest cover plates to the most sophisticated multi-directional assemblies, to suit a variety of situations and budgets. To complement a wide choice of joint covers for floors, walls and ceilings, our product range also includes specialty covers for car parks, roofs and exterior walls, to offer you a complete joint cover package for your project.